Story of Our Family

Welcome and thanks for stopping by!

I'm Bernadette (a/k/a Mommy).

In 2008, I married an extraordinary man called Duane (a/k/a Daddy)

and shortly after, we adopted our only-dog Carlos.

Life changed dramatically for all 3 of us on March 23, 2012 when we became parents to our miracle twins:

Master Cheeks (MC)

and Princess.

Below is the the Story of Our Family:

While 2008 was a whirlwind year of joy, excitement and celebrations, 2009- 2010, sadly left us wishing we could hit rewind. Diagnosed with premature ovarian failure and an unexplained implantation problem, we still found ourselves sans baby after several rounds of clomid, 3 IUIs, 4 donor egg cycles-- all without insurance coverage-- and a combined 4 miscarriages.

In 2011 things started looking up again. We made the difficult decision to end fertility treatments-- at least those involving my own eggs and/or uterus-- and started giving serious thought to "alternative" alternative family building options.

In March 2011, we made the decision to pursue surrogacy in India with an Indian egg donor, and in early August 2011, we traveled to Delhi for our cycle. Our egg donor had a fantastic retrieval, and we transferred a total of 8 Grade I Day-2 embryos to two surrogates.

Unfortunately, it never occurred to us that it wouldn't work.

Having become accustomed to these types of disappointments, we quickly jumped back in the rickshaw and  moved forward with a Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET).

It's amazing how things work out when you least expect them to. Following our FET to 2 new surrogates, each receiving 4 embryos, one surrogate became pregnant with twins and the other with a singleton.

Sadly, we lost our "Ken Singleton" at 12 weeks.

Given the rocky road we had traveled to conceive our babies, it seemed fitting that our twins chose to make their appearance at 29 weeks 3 days.

I immediately bought a one way ticket to India and spent the next 5 months living in Delhi as we awaited our Miracles' NICU graduation. Daddy had the far harder job, staying put in the states and working hard to support my affectionately dubbed "semester abroad."

After 48 days, Princess was finally able to make her hotel debut. Unfortunately, attempts to convince MC to join her were unsuccessful.

As a result, on August 11, 2012, an air ambulance flew in from Canada to rescue our trio, and transport MC to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

Sadly, on March 10 2013, our MC passed away due to a rare and catastrophic form of Epilepsy called Ohtahara Syndrome. In honor of his unique spirit, we threw a beautiful Indian-themed Celebration of Life on our Miracles' birthday weekend.

If you have questions about surrogacy in India, are in need of some infertility cyber-support, or would just like to say hi, please feel free to email me at